Philip Hider is Head of the School of Information Studies at Charles Sturt University, Australia. He has worked, taught and researched in the field of information organization in the UK, Singapore and Australia. He holds a PhD from City University, London and was made a Fellow of CILIP in 2004.
Information Resource Description: Creating and Managing Metadata, Second Edition
Customers outside of North America (USA and Canada) should contact Facet Publishing for purchasing information.
- About the Author
This new edition of Information Resource Description offers a fully updated and expanded overview of the field of information organization, examining the description of information resources as both a product and process of the contemporary digital environment. Through this unifying framework, the book provides an integrated commentary of the various fields and practices of information organization carried out by today’s information professionals and end-users. Key topics and updates to the first edition include
- discussion of Big Data vs. the traditional database model;
- an exploration of FRBR-LRM user tasks;
- expanded coverage of scholarly repositories and questions around Open Access;
- new section on the history of information organization;
- expanded discussion of the functions, economics, and management of metadata; and
- a new section on mobile access.
This book will be useful reading for LIS students taking information organization courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, information professionals wishing to specialize in this field, and existing metadata specialists who wish to update their knowledge.
Examination copies are available for instructors who are interested in adopting this title for course use.