Carolynn Rankin is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Applied Global Ethics at Leeds Metropolitan University, UK. She is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP).
Delivering the Best Start: A Guide to Early Years Libraries
Customers outside of North America (USA and Canada) should contact Facet Publishing for purchasing information.
- About the Authors
This book provides an understanding of how children develop such skills through enjoyable and meaningful learning experiences, and is a pioneering practical guide for library and information professionals involved in planning and delivering services in early years libraries. Drawing on the authors' underpinning contemporary research and examples from current best practice, it will equip practitioners with a broad range of knowledge and ideas. Key chapters include:
- Take them to the library: the role of the early years professional
- People and partnerships: working across interdisciplinary boundaries, and how to involve parents and caregivers
- Buildings, design and space: the children's libraries of the future
- Resources for early years libraries: books, toys and other delights
- Reaching your audience: the librarian's role
- Planning and organizing: projects and reading sessions.
User-friendly and accessible, each chapter is clearly structured and sets outs the key issues for practitioners, scenarios offering insights into these, and practical ideas and resources for service provision. The book also includes case studies of successful preschool library initiatives in a variety of global settings, useful information about relevant organizations, and links to helpful websites.