R. Lynn Baker is the author of Counting Down to Kindergarten: A Complete Guide to Creating a School Readiness Program for Your Community and Creating Literacy-Based Programs for Children: Lesson Plans and Printable Resources for K-5. With a background in early childhood education and library programming for children, Baker provides training to early childhood educators and librarians. She holds her bachelor’s in Interdisciplinary Early Childhood Education; a trainer’s credential; and her Master’s in Library and Information Science. Baker is an adjunct professor for Northern Kentucky University, teaching Library Programming for Children.
Working with Children of All Ages eCourse Bundle
You must complete your registration in advance of the eCourses by following the instructions contained in the PDF download that accompanies your purchase. The download can be found on the final confirmation screen after you complete your purchase and may also be accessed from your account. Select "My Account" and then select the "Files" tab to see all of your digital downloads.
To: December 9, 2018
- Learning Outcomes
- eCourse Bundle Outline
- About the Instructors
- Contact Us
Save 20% when you purchase the bundle!
When you work in youth services, you’re serving a large community of users—from babies and toddlers to preteens. Children of different ages have different needs and perspectives and require different types of expertise. If you want to learn a practical approach to working with children of all ages, our new eCourse bundle is for you. Over a three-month period, you will work closely with expert instructors that will take you from creating baby storytimes all the way through to readers’ advisory for grade-school kids. Courses included in this bundle are
- Creating Meaningful Programs for Infants and Caregivers with R. Lynn Baker – 4-week eCourse; begins Sept. 10, 2018
Early care expert and education trainer R. Lynn Baker’s teaches you how to create a school readiness program that prepares children for a successful transition into kindergarten.
- Planning Programs and Services for Toddlers and Preschoolers with Brooke Newberry – 4-week eCourse; begins October 8, 2018
In this course, learn the basics of storytime and programming, best practices for serving children ages 2-5, how to build a strong collection, and the basics of child development for toddlers and preschoolers.
- Practical Library Services for Grade School Kids (Kindergarten through second Grade) with R. Lynn Baker – 4-week eCourse; begins Nov. 5, 2018
Learn how to create intentional, literacy-based programs for children in kindergarten through second grade.
By participating in this group of three courses, you’ll earn a Certificate of Professional Development in Childhood Development and gain a broad set of skills that will serve you throughout your career.
You can purchase for these eCourses individually or as a bundle.
After taking these courses, you will be able to
- Describe the developmental continuum that generally takes place between birth to 18 months old
- Choose intentional activities, materials, and books that are developmentally appropriate for infant storytime
- Create a meaningful program plan based on intentional practices that link to early childhood development and developmentally appropriate practice
- Describe the essentials of development and literacy tools for children ages 2-5
- Implement best practices for running programs for 2-5 year olds
- Develop a collection for toddlers and preschoolers
- Identify and describe early reading skills, linking them back to early literacy practices
- Choose intentional activities, materials, and books that are developmentally appropriate for children in kindergarten through 2nd grade
- Create a meaningful program plan for a literacy-based program for children in grades K-2
Upon purchase you will receive a registration PDF in the form of a digital download. This PDF contains a link to our Registration page and a password. You must download this PDF and follow the instructions in order to complete the registration. The download link can be found on the final confirmation screen after you complete your purchase, and may also be accessed by selecting "My Account" at the top of your screen and then selecting the "Files" tab. Confirmation with login instructions, reminders, and alerts will go to the email address used in the registration.
How this eCourse Bundle Works
The first eCourse begins on September 10, 2018. For each course, your participation will require approximately four to five hours a week, at times that fit your schedule. There are no live sessions. All activities take place on the website, and you will be expected to
- Read, listen to or view online content
- Post to online discussion boards
- Complete weekly assignments or activities
Instructors R. Lynn Baker and Brooke Newberry will monitor discussion boards regularly during each of the 4-week eCourses, lead group discussions, and will also answer individual questions for each of their courses. All interaction will take place on the eCourse site, which will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's recommended that students log into the site on the first day of class or within a few days for an overview of the content and to begin the first lesson.
Participants will need regular access to a computer with an internet connection for online message boards participation, viewing online video, listening to streaming audio (mp3 files), and downloading and viewing PDFs and PowerPoint files. ALA Publishing eLearning Solutions eCourses are fully compatible with Windows and MacOs.
This eCourse bundle is licensed for a single user. For pricing on bulk purchases in excess of $1,000, please contact us for more information.
Creating Meaningful Programs for Infants and Caregivers with R. Lynn Baker
Starts Monday, September 10, 2018
Week 1: Infant Development—Birth through 18 months
Week 2: Choosing Interactive Activities for Infants and Caregivers
Week 3: Choosing Developmentally Appropriate Books for Babies
Week 4: Creating an Effective Program Plan for Your Infant-Caregiver Program
Planning Programs and Services for Toddlers and Preschoolers with Brooke Newberry
Starts Monday, October 8, 2018
Week 1: Child Development for toddlers and preschoolers
Week 2: Storytime
Week 3: Beyond Storytime
Week 4: Collection Development
Practical Library Services for Grade School Kids (Kindergarten through second Grade) with R. Lynn Baker
Starts Monday, November 5, 2018
Week 1: Beginning Reading Skills that Grow from Early Literacy Practices
Week 2: Types of Programs for Children in Grades K-2
Week 3: Field Trips, Outreach, and Specialized Programs for Children
Week 4: Creating an Effective Program Plan for a K-2 Program