Saroj Nadkarni Ghoting, an early childhood literacy consultant, worked on the PLA/ ALSC initiative, Every Child Ready to Read @your library®. She implemented the program at Maryland's Montgomery County Public Library when she was early childhood services coordinator. A children's librarian since 1976, she stays in touch with public service by working at Neill Public Library (Pullman, WA) and Moscow (ID) Public Library. She received her MLS from Catholic University. Follow her on Twitter at @sghoting.
- Table of Contents
- About the Authors
StoryTime Effective Practice (STEP), developed by the authors, is an approach that articulates the link between child development theory and storytimes. This important resource shows how presenters can use STEP to craft a storytime that is effective for mixed-age groups and adheres to best practices for emotional, social, physical, and cognitive support. In this book, Ghoting and Klatt, both early literacy experts,
- Offer more than 30 complete ready-to-use storytimes appropriate for newborns to children age 5, along with extension activities
- Show how STEP relates to emotional, social, cognitive, and physical development
- Explain how storytime materials and activities directly connect to language and literacy development
- Include preparation, planning, and performance tips, plus guidance for interacting with parents and caregivers
- Provide lists of recommended additional resources, including organizations, websites, and sources for storytime time activity ideas
This book is a must-have guide for storytime presenters, preschool teachers, child care providers, and parents of young children.
Check out this title's Web Extra!
"A valuable resource and one that should be a part of every professional development collection for youth services staff. It is a refreshing take on library program guides that offers an accessible method of reinvigorating storytimes while providing deeper insight into early literacy development."
— School Library Journal (starred review)
"A ‘must-have' for children's librarians and nursery school teachers and caregivers, STEP into Storytime is a professional-quality resource distilling decades of education and experimentation into a thoroughly accessible ‘best practices' compendium. Highly recommended!"
— Library Bookwatch
"It is a rare volume that could serve as both pleasure reading or as a textbook, but STEP into Storytime walks that fine line … consider this book required reading to keep this knowledge fresh while reminding us of the importance—and delightful fun—of our work."