School Librarian's Career Planner—print/e-book Bundle
This specially priced bundle includes a print copy for desk reference along with the e-book version. The download link for this product can be found on the final confirmation screen after you complete your purchase, and may also be accessed from your Account Profile; the print copy will be shipped to you. For more information about ALA eEditions file types and how to view them on eReaders, desktop computers, and other devices, see this page.
- Table of Contents
In theory if not in practice, traditional school library career planning went something like this: get a degree, find a job, work towards tenure, then remain in the same district until retirement. If that was ever actually the case, it certainly isn't any longer. School librarians know that making smart choices and planning strategically are the best ways to create a career that is both within their control and professionally fulfilling. This practical, hands-on book covers the multifaceted aspects of how school librarians can successfully carve out a unique niche within the educational community, showing readers how to
- Present themselves to stakeholders, from the first interview through day-to-day job duties
- Learn the workings of the school and district while demonstrating expertise
- Develop the management skills needed to assume various leadership positions, both official and unofficial
- Stay current with developments in pedagogy and technology, and incorporate them into the fabric of the school
- Prepare for possible changes due to staff cuts or a personal decision
For both long-time school librarians, as well as those who have recently entered the profession with a background in education, Weisburg's guide will be an invaluable resource for navigating their career path.