Rachael Maguire is the Records Manager and Data Protection Officer at the London School of Economics, covering records management, data protection, and freedom of information. She has been working in the fields of information management and information rights for two decades, and is on the editorial board of the Records Management Journal.
- About the Author
Records Managers have tended to find themselves given the responsibility for managing requests under the Freedom of Information (FOI) and Data Protection Acts (DPA), without necessarily having training and/or an academic background in legal studies. This book aims to fill this knowledge gap by offering a fully up to date, accessible, comprehensive guide to Information rights specifically for those without a legal background.
Information Rights for Records Managers aims to be as comprehensive as possible, including coverage of the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), so that the guidance practitioners can provide is as fully informed as possible. Content covered includes:
- responding to FOI requests, including exemptions, internal reviews and benchmarking;
- DPA and GDPR regulations, where the differences lie and what the implications are for professionals operating under the acts;
- personal data requests and enquiries under GDPR;
- working with the European Information Regulations (EIR) and where the differences lie with FOI;
- discussion of the two strands of records management and information rights work and how the two interact in daily work; and
- practical case studies from a range of organisations and institutions to demonstrate practice.