Judy Freeman is a former school librarian; an adjunct professor at Pratt Institute in New York City teaching courses in children's literature and storytelling; an international speaker and performer for children, teachers, librarians, and parents; a children's book reviewer; and the author of more than a dozen professional books about children's literature and storytelling. She continues to work closely with librarians, teachers, and hundreds of students at several elementary schools to test out new books, ideas, and ways to incorporate literature into children's lives.
- Table of Contents
- About the Authors
Librarians, teachers, parents, and caregivers can energize storytimes and curricula with this informative and entertaining resource filled with engaging and creative ways to integrate storytelling and story-related materials into programs for children, ages birth-12. Readers will find a treasure trove of tales, books, songs, and poems to share, plus a host of exciting and easily adaptable children's literature-based activities. This handbook provides
- Descriptions of a variety of programs for young children, from lap times for babies to programs for toddlers and nursery school age children, on up to grade 2
- A "quicklist" of 150 thematic program-starters for children ages 1-7, on popular topics such as animals, the natural world, families, vehicles, and holidays
- Story jokes, think stories, convoluted logic puzzlers, scary tales, funny stories, and dozens of other thematic program-starters for tweens
- Methods for telling stories using pictures, objects, crafts, puppetry, songs, creative drama, and magic
- Materials such as story scripts, songs, wordplay, poems, annotated booklists, and non-narrative sources for storytelling
- Guidance to help story programmers pull together cohesive themed programs and story hours
No storytelling programmer will want to be without this expansive and instantly useful handbook.
Part 1 Interactive Storytelling
- Chapter 1 Pictures and Objects in Storytelling
- Chapter 2 Puppetry
- Chapter 3 Creative Drama
- Chapter 4 Storytime Fillers: Fingerplays, Tongue Twisters, Riddles, Jokes, Rhymes, and Other Nonsense
- Chapter 5 Music
- Chapter 6 Magic
Part 2 Programs
- Chapter 7 Programs for Preschool and Primary School Children, from Birth to Age 7
- Chapter 8 Programs for Upper Elementary and Middle School Children, Ages 8 to 14
Afterword: And, Finally . . .
"It is a combination of old and new that will give storytimes a boost. This book is recommended for public library professional collections."
— Catholic Library World
"Altogether, this volume recommends stories in approximately a thousand current books; it will save story-hunters enormous time and effort … Freeman's fluent, conversational prose makes [the book] enjoyable to read as well as to consult for practical storytime programming ideas."