Rob Reid, with moe than 20 years' experience as children's librarian, teaches courses on children's and young adult literature and librarianship as full time lecturer at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. He is the author of Family Storytimes, Something Funny Happened at the Library, Cool Story Programs for the School-aged Crowd and other ALA Editions favorites. A regular contributor to Booklinks, he is also a popular and entertaining presenter at conferences, libraries, and schools.
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
Five Reasons to Invite the Whole Family to Storytime:
- Adults enjoy being read to (even if they may not admit it).
- Parents and caregivers learn techniques for reading to children at home.
- Parents network with each other, creating a sense of community in your library.
- Teens interested in drama, literature, or early childhood education can perform.
- It's more fun!
Invite the whole family to the library and let the fun begin!
- Parents in Story Programs
- What About Those Teens?
- How to Use This Book
- Openings and Closings
- Other Tips for a Successful Family Storytime
- 2nd Generation Favorites
- Altered Endings and Twisted Tales: "Fractured" Stories and Activities
- Barnyard Fun: Stories and Activities about Farms
- Big and Gray: Stories and Activities about Rhinos, Hippos & Elephants
- Birdland: Stories and Activities about Birds
- Black Bears, Brown Bears, Polar, Panda & Teddy Bears
- Bubbly Bubble Bathtime
- Creepy Crawlers: Stories and Activities about Insects, Spiders & Worms
- Frogs, Snakes, Turtles, 'Gators & Crocs
- Jammy Jamboree: Stories and Activities about Bedtime
- Meow and Squeak: Stories and Activities about Cats and Mice
- The Name Game
- Outrageous Hats and Sensible Shoes
- Papas, Grandads & Uncles
- Super Moms (and Super Grandmas and Super Aunts)
- The Tricksters: Stories and Activities about Riddles, Surprises & Clever Folks
- Uh-Oh! Accidents!
- Under the Deep Blue Sea, Sea, Sea: Stories and Acitivities about Ocean Life
- What'cha Gonna Wear?: Stories and Activities about Clothing
- What's Cooking?: Stories and Activities about Food
- Wild Critters: Stories and Activities about Animals from around the World
- Winter Wonderland
- Woof and Wag: Stories and Activities about Dogs
"A treasure for both public and school librarians."
—School Library Journal
"There is a nice balance of old favourites with recent resources in the picture books and chapter books Reid recommends. Reid is clearly an accomplished performer, with highly developed skills in all forms of storytelling, singing, recitation and interpretive movement."