Mirela Roncevic has served as a consultant for a range of publishers and libraries and partnered with companies creating new digital opportunities for publishers, authors, readers, educators, and librarians. She has also contributed articles, reports, book reviews, and short stories to numerous magazines and has served as managing editor of several book series and journals. Editorial Director of No Shelf Required, an award-winning portal on e-books and digital content, she is also the founder of the One Country, One Library initiative, which supports the creation of national libraries that provide free access to books and other content to all people inside a country’s borders for the purpose of bridging digital divides, equalizing access to education, enabling reading, and spreading literacy.
E-book Platforms for Libraries--eEditions eBook
The download link for this product can be found on the final confirmation screen after you complete your purchase, and may also be accessed from your Account Profile. For more information about ALA eEditions file types and how to view them on eReaders, desktop computers, and other devices, see this page.
- About the Authors
This title is also available for purchase in a print edition
Library Technology Reports, April 2013 (49:3)
About ALA eEditions e-books
eEditions e-books include bookmarked tables of contents and indexes for easy navigation within the book, and are readable using a variety of software and devices including:
- Amazon Kindle
- Sony eReader
- iPhone’s Stanza eReader
- Adobe Digital Editions eReader
- MobiPocket eReader
This eEditions e-book is sold as a .zip file containing 3 different e-book file types:
- ePDF: .pdf file
- ePub: .epub file
- MobiPocket/Kindle: .mobi file
No eReader needed
You can read eEditions e-books on desktop computers with these free downloads:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader reads .pdf files
- Adobe Digital Editions reads .pdf and .epub files
- Bookworm reads .epub files
- Sony Reader Library reads .epub and .lrf files
- MobiPocket Reader Desktop reads .prc files
Own an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad?
You can read eEditions e-books in .epub file format using Stanza. Detailed instructions for getting your e-books into Stanza are available here. On the iPad, .epub files can be read using the free iBooks app.
The download link for this product can be found on the final confirmation screen after you complete your purchase, and may also be accessed from your Account History. ALA eEditions downloads are designed for single users only.
E-book vendors continue to experiment: adjustments to business models, consolidation of content, and mergers with competitors mean constant change. What’s good for innovation can equal confusion when it comes to choosing an e-book platform for your library. Making a sound purchasing decision requires research and close consideration of trade-offs, and Roncevic’s new issue of Library Technology Reports will get you started. Based on surveys of e-book vendors with an established presence in academic, public, and/or K–12 library markets, this report includes
- Background and business model descriptions for 51 leading e-book vendors
- Four tables comparing content, technical specifications, functionality, and business models
- An at-a-glance overview of platforms, including vendor website URLs
- Bulleted checklists of factors to consider, and questions to ask vendors
- An examination of the blurring channels of publisher, aggregator, and distributor platforms, with advice to help you avoid content overlap