Amanda L. Goodman is the user experience (UX) librarian at Darien Library, a public library in Connecticut. In this position, she planned, implemented, and manages a busy digital media lab. Author of The Comparative Guide to WordPress in Libraries: A LITA Guide, she has also written articles for UX Magazine and Library Journal. She cohosts a podcast about UX and libraries called #libux, and blogs about her work at A Ghost of Daisies. Find her on Twitter as @godaisies.
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
More than just an easy-to-use blogging platform, WordPress is in fact a flexible, open source content management system. Without spending a dime or writing a line of code, it's possible to build the library website of your dreams. But it's important to understand the basic principles of WordPress so you can plan wisely. In this LITA guide, User Experience (UX) librarian and seasoned WordPress instructor Goodman leads you step-by-step through the basic planning process for a library website that meets your users' needs and fits your available resources for maintaining it. Written with the questions of library administrators and technology staff in mind, this guide shows you
- How to make an informed decision about whether WordPress is the right platform for your library
- Options for hosted and self-hosted platforms
- Nearly two dozen WordPress sites, drawn from a wide range of different libraries and organizations
- How to choose the right theme for your library's content
- Succinct explanations of every element in the Administrative Dashboard with advice on library applications
- Quick tips on user experience, information architecture, and analytics
- Effective ways to use images, audio, and video
Offering a solid foundation in WordPress, this guide will help you design and launch a library website that effectively serves your library's users.
A The Survey
B Resources for WordPress
"A concise primer ... This book is an excellent introduction to all things WordPress and libraries."
"The author does an excellent job of presenting a comprehensive and simple to understand guide … an in-depth look into how libraries are using WordPress, complete with profiles of actual libraries and outlines of how they utilize the platform according to their specific needs."
"Timely ... this guide will be useful right now to librarians who are planning or who want to begin thinking about their online presence."
— Reference Reviews
"There is much to like about this book from any librarian's perspective. This work is useful for public, school, and academic librarians."
— Catholic Library World