Caroline Carruthers is Network Rail’s first Chief Data Officer, Network Rail runs, maintains and develops Britain’s rail infrastructure where information and data management is a critical capability within this highly complex environment. She has established a small core team operating with a larger matrix team drawing together Information Governance, Information Security, Data Protection, Freedom of Information, Records Management and Business Intelligence to deliver the vision of effective, accountable and sustainable management of information across Network Rail. She draws on experience from a varied background covering CIO/CTO roles through to running large scale complex change programmes. It was the recognition that ‘everything we do is fuelled by data and information’ that drove Caroline down the CDO route and she regularly describes herself as a Data Cheerleader.
The Chief Data Officer's Playbook
Customers outside of North America (USA and Canada) should contact Facet Publishing for purchasing information.
- Table of Contents
- About the Authors
The new and rapidly expanding role of the Chief Data Officer (CDO) is of significant interest and relevance to organisations and data professionals internationally. Written by two practicing CDOs, this new book offers a jargon-free, practical guide to making better decisions based on data. Content covered includes:
- why does any organization need a CDO?;
- the secret ingredients of the successful CDO;
- avoiding the hype cycle;
- building the CDO team;
- who leads the technology?; and
- the CDO and data governance: enablement not red tape.
This book will offer key insight for CDOs looking to understand their position better, for aspiring CDOs and data officers looking at career progression, for those recruiting CDOs, and offers essential knowledge for anyone else operating in the current data environment.
About the authors
Glossary of terms
1. Why does any organization need a Chief Data Officer?
2. Secret Ingredients of a Chief Data Officer
3. The first one hundred days
4. Delivering a Data Strategy in the Cauldron of BAU
5. Avoiding the Hype Cycle
6. Relating to the rest of the business especially the C-Suite
7. The Chief Data Officer as a Disruptor
8. Building the Chief Data Officer Team
9. The next 300 days
10. The different generations of CDO's
11. What type of Chief Data Officer are you?
12. How to present yourself as a chief data officer
13. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Data.....
14. The Chief Data Officer and the technology
15. The hoarding mentality and how to break it
16. Data / Information Ethics
17. The CDO and Data Governance
18. The data revolution
19. Advice to give Business Owners / CEO / Board
'This practical guide is a must-read for data leaders building the foundation of value creation from data.'
- Katia Walsh, Chief Global Data and Analytics Officer, Vodafone
'This is a book for practitioners by practitioners. It offers must-read insights into the potential of data to transform. Whether de-mystifying the subject for busy C-Suite leaders, or offering practical checklists for first-time CDOs to benchmark progress, there's something here for anyone who cares about harnessing data to improve outcomes. Read. Smile. Exploit.'
- Tim Carmichael, Chief Data Officer and Chief Analytics Officer, British Army
'Without any doubt, this playbook is a must read for the primary audience, the CDOs. In my opinion, it is equally a must read for the secondary audience, the C-Suite, for the insight on how the role complements their businesses.'
- Sham Kashikar, ex-Chief Data Officer, Sales & Marketing, Intel
'Nothing, literally nothing, works in a company without the input of data in some shape or form...well said Caroline and Peter! Data is indeed here to stay. We’ve got pundits exclaiming that, data is the new oil, the new currency, the new bacon...To all Chief Data Officers and companies looking for a Chief Data Officer, this book is all you need to get started. Caroline and Peter have thought of everything including the first 100 days in the CDO office!'
- Vanessa Eriksson, Chief Data Officer Advisor, PwC
'The Chief Data Officer's Playbook is the best overall resource available for CDOs and their teams. The release of this book is perfectly timed. The CDO Club tracks CDO hires globally, and last year alone the number of new CDO hires quintupled. The Playbook is a compendium of essential knowledge anyone operating in the current data environment must have.'
- David Mathison, Chairman, CEO and Founder, CDO Club/CDO Summit
'Brilliant overview for CDOs and senior leadership teams on this emerging and disruptive role. It also offers the reader an understanding of how the CDO - as a catalyst - has the dual task of creating transformational value from data and to greatly contribute towards the new data-driven DNA of the organisation's vision of the future.'
- Matt Corey, MD, Change Force
'In today’s information-rich world, data-driven organisations have the competitive edge. Data analytics and data-driven insight make the difference between guesswork and timely, evidence-based decision making. Understanding the role of the Chief Data Officer (CDO) is the key to unlocking this potential. This handy, practical book gives you access to the expertise of market-leading practitioners who have harnessed the power of data to deliver real business gains in large-scale companies and organisations. Whether you are an executive looking to transform the use of data in your organisation or an aspiring CDO looking for hints and tips on how to develop your career and make a real impact, this is the book for you.'
- Nick Poole, Chief Executive Officer, CILIP