Barbara Alvarez has partnered with numerous library professionals, local businesses, and organizations to share digital stories through podcasts, videos, and broadcasting. She is the co-founder of The Library OnConference, a free virtual conference completely held on Google Hangouts that has garnered nearly 500 participants. Additionally, she received the 2015 Public Librarian Support Award for innovation and creativity in the library’s community. She is the author of the book Embedded Business Librarianship for the Public Librarian with ALA Editions. Barbara received a Master in Library and Information Science from the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign. She is Head of Adult Services at North Shore Library in Glendale, WI.
Business Outreach for the Public Librarian eCourse
You must complete your registration in advance of the eCourse by following the instructions contained in the PDF download that accompanies your purchase. The download can be found on the final confirmation screen after you complete your purchase and may also be accessed from your account. Select "My Account" and then select the "Files" tab to see all of your digital downloads.
To: October 7, 2018
- Learning Outcomes
- eCourse Outline
- About the Instructor
- Contact Us
Building connections with your local business community can be a boon to your library. By working with local stores and other businesses on library programs and services, you can gain additional marketing, content, and even revenue without additional staff or expenses.
Not sure where to start? This four-week eCourse equips you with a step-by-step action plan that can help you effectively take your business connections to the next level through embedded networking and tailored library services. Through guided instruction, you’ll get started with embedded librarianship in your business community and learn how to establish sustainable, long-term partnerships. You’ll also gain tips for how to reach job seekers, small business owners, and professionals to share the relevant resources and services you offer.
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Identify the need and importance of providing embedded librarianship to the business community and how it paves the way to sustainable, meaningful relationships
- Develop new networks with the business community using a guided action plan
- Determine how library space, programs, and services can better serve the business community
Upon purchase you will receive a registration PDF in the form of a digital download. This PDF contains a link to our Registration page and a password. You must download this PDF and follow the instructions in order to complete the registration. The download link can be found on the final confirmation screen after you complete your purchase, and may also be accessed by selecting "My Account" at the top of your screen and then selecting the "Files" tab. Confirmation with login instructions, reminders, and alerts will go to the email address used in the registration.
How this eCourse Works
The eCourse begins on September 10, 2018. Your participation will require approximately four to five hours a week, at times that fit your schedule. There are no live sessions. All activities take place on the website, and you will be expected to
- Read, listen to or view online content
- Post to online discussion boards
- Complete weekly assignments or activities
Instructor Barbara Alvarez will monitor discussion boards regularly during the 4-week period, lead group discussions, and will also answer individual questions. All interaction will take place on the eCourse site, which will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's recommended that students log into the site on the first day of class or within a few days for an overview of the content and to begin the first lesson.
Participants will need regular access to a computer with an internet connection for online message boards participation, viewing online video, listening to streaming audio (mp3 files), and downloading and viewing PDFs and PowerPoint files. ALA Publishing eLearning Solutions eCourses are fully compatible with Windows and MacOs.
This eCourse is licensed for a single user. For pricing on bulk purchases in excess of $1,000, please contact us for more information.
- Week One: Learn the core concepts of being an embedded librarian and why it's significant to building sustainable relationships in your community.
- Week Two: Start developing new connections with professionals, job seekers, and small business owners in your library’s community that make a lasting impression and pave the way for long-term partnerships.
- Week Three: Identify areas in the library that can be improved in order to create a welcoming environment that caters to the needs of the business community.
- Week Four: Using your new role, learn how to leverage library programming and events to create educational opportunities for the business community in and outside of the library.