Catherine Hakala-Ausperk is an author, speaker, and trainer with over 35 years’ library experience in everything from direct customer service to library management and administration. She is an Adjunct Instructor at the iSchool at Kent State and also teaches for the American Library Association’s Certified Public Library Administrator (CPLA) Program, The Public Library Association, ALA’s eLearning Solutions, the Urban Library Council, InfoPeople, and multiple other organizations. An active speaker, planner, and trainer in libraries across the country, she is the author of seven books: Be a Great Boss: One Year to Success (ALA, 2011); Build a Great Team: One Year to Success (ALA, 2013); Renew Yourself: A Six-Step Plan for More Meaningful Work (ALA, 2017); and a unique series of Leadership Planners, including Future-Proof Your Team; Win ‘Em Over; Dynamic Discipline; and Hot Ticket Meetings. Catherine’s passion is for supporting, coaching, and developing great libraries, successful teams, and – especially – strong and effective leaders. You can check out her clients and projects on her website or follow her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/librariesthrive. Catherine’s full resume is available at https://standardresume.co/CatherineHakala-Ausperk.
Be a Great Boss During a Crisis eCourse
You must complete your enrollment by following the instructions contained in the PDF download that accompanies your purchase. The download can be found on the final confirmation screen after you complete your purchase and may also be accessed from your account. Select "My Account" and then select the "Files" tab to see all of your digital downloads.
- About the Instructor
- Contact Us
We are in a crisis—the economy is uncertain, day-to-day life has ground to a halt, and many libraries have had to close their buildings to the public and, in some cases, have their staff work at home.
In this new, self-paced eCourse, library management expert Catherine Hakala-Ausperk will provide you with concrete tools for managing your library during this crisis and continuing to lead effectively when this is all over. Whether you’re struggling with public crisis communications, translating your management skills to remote staff, or even if you’re starting to think about getting back to normal, this course covers necessary skills for leadership in challenging times. And, since how we do our jobs is as important as what we do, this course concludes with a challenging module on Leadership Superpowers—our critical soft skills.
Because schedules, work, and family responsibilities are completing for your time, each module will be pre-recorded and available for you to watch at your convenience. Each module will also be accompanied by a writing exercise and checklists you can use to ensure you stay on track.
The five modules of this eCourse are:
- Be a Great Boss in Not-So-Great Times: There can be no more critical measure of leadership than how one faces those tough times—and how they effectively lead their teams through them. Gain perspective on how to lead your team through the current challenge and gain skills you can apply to future crises.
- Communicating During a Crisis: In businesses and libraries around the country, people are waiting for YOU to offer the guidance, advice, and information they so desperately need. Learn what you need to lead with your communications.
- Meetings Matter, Now More Than Ever: When your staff isn’t there in person, you need to make sure you can communicate with them in a way that reassures them while also maintaining accountability. In this module, you’ll learn how to streamline your meetings in a remote environment, ensuring that the lines of communication stay open and your staff continues to perform effectively.
- Open Those Doors...Slowly!: We will get through this crisis, and soon enough, we’ll be re-opening our doors to the public. When we do, we’ll face a series of compounded demands, challenges, and—perhaps—limited staff availability. In this module, you’ll learn how we can address these issues by leveraging volunteers and our community to help smooth the transition.
- Leadership Superpowers: Anyone studying how to be a great boss cannot avoid the reality that it’s not just what we do that matters, but how we do it. Especially in today’s high-tech, distance-working world, great bosses must nurture their soft skills in order to be truly effective. In this module, a focus on respect, courage, risk-taking, empathy, accountability, nurturing, and joy will ensure you won’t need to wear a cape to let your superpowers show.
Upon purchase you will receive a registration PDF in the form of a digital download. This PDF contains a link to our Registration page and a password. You must download this PDF and follow the instructions in order to complete the registration. The download link can be found on the final confirmation screen after you complete your purchase, and may also be accessed by selecting "My Account" at the top of your screen and then selecting the "Files" tab. Confirmation with login instructions, reminders, and alerts will go to the email address used in the registration.
How this eCourse Works
The eCourse is self-paced and may be started at any time. You will be able to work through the materials at your own pace. There are no live sessions or instructor facilitation. All activities take place on the website.
Participants will need regular access to a computer with an internet connection for viewing online video and downloading and viewing PDFs. ALA Publishing eLearning Solutions eCourses are fully compatible with Windows and MacOs.
This eCourse is licensed for a single user. For pricing on bulk purchases in excess of $1,000, please contact us for more information.