Carol Garnett Hopkins is a children's librarian at a stand-alone municipal library in western Washington. Her specialties include toddler storytimes, programming for children, selecting children's books and movies, and matching AR books with young readers.
Artsy Toddler Storytimes: A Year's Worth of Ready-To-Go Programming--print/PDF e-book Bundle
This specially priced bundle includes a print copy for desk reference along with the e-book version. The download link for this product can be found on the final confirmation screen after you complete your purchase, and may also be accessed from your Account Profile; the print copy will be shipped to you. For more information about ALA eEditions file types and how to view them on eReaders, desktop computers, and other devices, see this page.
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
For toddlers, every storytime can be a new adventure, while art activities are important for developing impulse control, hand-eye coordination, and fine motor dexterity in the hands. Hopkins’ new book fuses them together. Designed for children ages 1 to 3 years old, the book’s 52 storytimes promote pre-reading skills such as print motivation, vocabulary, and narrative skills. Based on themes familiar to children, including bears, bugs, springtime,clothing and hats, flowers and gardens, weather, music, pets, transportation, pirates, and many more, each storytime includes a list of books, action songs or rhymes along with their words, a flannelboard experience, plus instruction for two to three art activities. This complete toddler storytime resource also includes
- An introduction which discusses the differences between art activities and craft activities, a toddler’s ability in creating art, and why children this age should be exposed to art activities
- Advice for using different art mediums, such as food, plus important safety considerations
- Pointers on conducting playful yet educational storytimes
- Tips for finding inexpensive art materials, with a list of recommended supplies to keep on hand
- More than 100 drawings, all easy to reproduce and modify
- Weblinks to “Artsy Helper Sheets,” downloadable supplements complete with phrases, tips, and tricks that inform parents and caregivers about the benefits of doing art activities with toddlers
Pick up Hopkins' book and you'll be ready to conduct a storytime within moments!
Check out this book’s Web Extra now!
Part I: Toddler Art Fundamentals
Part II: Making the Most of Your Artsy Storytime Program
Part III: A Year's Worth of Storytimes