Caitlin Williams is the author of the soon-to-be released book Be Opportunity Minded: Start Growing Your Career Now (ALA Editions 2019) as well as a speaker and professional development consultant. She has spent 20+ years working in the field of career/workplace development. Caitlin has had the honor of conducting career coaching for ALA attendees at its twice-yearly conferences since 2000. She has presented and contributed numerous articles and podcasts to ALA. She has written previously on career and workplace topics. Caitlin is retired from teaching at San Jose State University.
Advance Your Career: Becoming Opportunity-Minded and Unlocking Your Potential eCourse
You must complete your registration in advance of the eCourse by following the instructions contained in the PDF download that accompanies your purchase. The download can be found on the final confirmation screen after you complete your purchase and may also be accessed from your account. Select "My Account" and then select the "Files" tab to see all of your digital downloads.
To: May 12, 2019
- Learning Outcomes
- eCourse Outline
- About the Instructor
- Contact Us
Looking to advance your career? This eCourse is designed to help you spot career advancement opportunities to help you move forward on your own terms. Caitlin Williams, author of Be Opportunity Minded: Start Growing Your Career Now, teaches you what career advancement looks like in today’s workplace, how you can identify and capitalize on workplace challenges, and how you can take action to grow your career.
By the end of this course, you will have the chance to craft a personalized roadmap filled with specific activities you can pursue to move your career forward. Whether you are at the early, mid, or late career stage, or nearing graduation, this course is for you.
Be Opportunity Minded: Start Growing Your Career Now will be the main text for the course; the ebook is included with your course purchase and will be available to read and download from the course.
By the end of this course, you will be able to
- Understand changes in the workplace, and in the field of librarianship, especially as these changes relate to your career and professional development;
- List the reasons for the need to approach your own career from an “opportunity-minded” perspective;
- Understand the steps necessary to take an opportunity-minded perspective;
- Gain a comprehensive picture of the strengths you possess that lets you pursue appropriate career opportunities;
- Gain skill in identifying opportunities and choose ones that are appropriate for you;
- Understand the importance of trends in shaping your own career direction; and
- Complete your Growth Plan and begin putting it into action.
Upon purchase you will receive a registration PDF in the form of a digital download. This PDF contains a link to our Registration page and a password. You must download this PDF and follow the instructions in order to complete the registration. The download link can be found on the final confirmation screen after you complete your purchase, and may also be accessed by selecting "My Account" at the top of your screen and then selecting the "Files" tab. Confirmation with login instructions, reminders, and alerts will go to the email address used in the registration.
How this eCourse Works
The eCourse begins on April 8, 2019. Your participation will require approximately four to five hours a week, at times that fit your schedule. There are no live sessions. All activities take place on the website, and you will be expected to
- Read, listen to or view online content
- Post to online discussion boards
- Complete weekly assignments or activities
Instructor Caitlin Williams will monitor discussion boards regularly during the 5-week period, lead group discussions, and will also answer individual questions. All interaction will take place on the eCourse site, which will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's recommended that students log into the site on the first day of class or within a few days for an overview of the content and to begin the first lesson.
Participants will need regular access to a computer with an internet connection for online message boards participation, viewing online video, listening to streaming audio (mp3 files), and downloading and viewing PDFs and PowerPoint files. ALA Publishing eLearning Solutions eCourses are fully compatible with Windows and MacOs.
This eCourse is licensed for a single user. For pricing on bulk purchases in excess of $1,000, please contact us for more information.
Each week runs from Monday to Sunday, beginning at 12:00 AM Monday and closing on the subsequent Sunday at 11:55 PM Central Time.
Due Dates: Assignment due dates are included in the assignment instructions. Due dates are on Central Standard Time. Assignments are due by the time the week closes unless otherwise indicated by the instructor. The instructor will accept late assignments, but not beyond the end of the final week of the course. Feedback to participants for late assignments may take some additional time.
- Introduction to How to Become Opportunity Minded
- Topic 1: The Workplace is Changing – So What?
- Topic 2: Our Careers Keep Changing Too!
- Topic 3: Capitalize on Changes Starting Right Now
- Topic 4: How Well Do You Know You?
- Topic 5: How Well Do You Know What’s New and What’s Next?
- Topic 6: Which Opportunities Are Worth Pursuing?
- Topic 7: Growth Opportunities Are Everywhere!
- Topic 8: Turn an Opportunity into a Reality
- Topic 9: Icing on Your Cake
- Topic 10: Create Your Own Going for It Growth Plan