Library Technology Reports, February/March 2017 (53:2)
8.5" x 11"
Year Published: 2017
Podcasts are experiencing a renaissance today. More high-quality programming is available for more diverse audiences than ever before. And in this report, Nicole Hennig will provide you with a guide that includes some of the best educational, accessible, and diverse podcasts available for your library users. Hennig provides suggestions for how you can find the best podcasts, discusses the purposes and benefits of podcasts, and share tips on how we can use this knowledge to point our users to the most relevant content and help increase digital literacy in our communities.
In this issue of Library Technology Reports (vol. 53, no. 2), Hennig will cover
- Why podcasts are an important part of digital literacy;
- Statistics on podcast listening;
- The advantages of audio-based learning;
- How to find the best podcasts and the best apps for podcast listening;
- Lists of recommended podcasts for general audiences, higher education, teens, children, people with disabilities, and diverse and underserved audiences;
- How podcasts are being used, in context, in K–12 education and higher education;
- Podcast accessibility for people with disabilities;
- Ideas for how libraries can become curators and recommenders of podcasts; and
- Resources for learning more.
About the Author
Nicole Hennig is an expert in mobile technologies for libraries. In her 14 years of experience at the MIT Libraries, she won awards for innovation, and worked to keep academics up to date with the best mobile technologies. Now she has her own business helping librarians stay current with new technologies. She is the author of several books and technical reports, including Keeping Up with Emerging Technologies and Apps for Librarians. Like most librarians, she is passionate about access to information for all. Mobile apps are empowering for all ages and abilities, and librarians who take her courses are becoming technology experts for their communities. To stay current with the best technologies for education and productivity, sign up for her email newsletter, Mobile Apps News, and follow her on twitter @nic221, where she tweets about libraries, apps, and emerging technologies.
About Library Technology Reports
Published by ALA TechSource, Library Technology Reports helps librarians make informed decisions about technology products and projects. Library Technology Reports publishes eight issues annually and provides thorough overviews of current technology. Reports are authored by experts in the field and may address the application of technology to library services, offer evaluative descriptions of specific products or product classes, or cover emerging technology. Find out more information on this publication and how you can subscribe here.