The e-book edition and the print/e-book bundle of this title are also available separately.
6" x 9"
Year Published: 2015
AP Categories: A, C, E
Genre fiction has always been a complex mixture of themes and elements. The increasing popularity of “genre blends,” or fiction that straddles the traditional labels, means greater pleasure for readers but a greater challenge for readers’ advisory. In this informative and entertaining book McArdle gets library staff up to speed on these engaging titles, showing how such crossover fiction appeals to fanbases of multiple genres. Complete with booklists, summaries, read-alikes, and thorough indexes, this guide
- Covers suspense, fantasy, historical fiction, horror, mystery, romance, and science fiction, as well as non-genre titles that don’t neatly fit into any categories
- Offers guidance for shelving, displaying, and marketing genre blends
- Shows how to make the most of online discovery tools in cataloging these titles
- Includes “Blend MVPs,” a section spotlighting several popular authors who regularly move between genres, and a useful bibliography of additional resources
Providing a unique look at how common genres are often combined, this guide will open up new worlds of fiction to readers’ advisors and those whom they serve.
Table of Contents
- Adrenaline Blends: Blends on the Edge of Your Seat
- Fantasy Blends: Blends with Magic
- Historical Fiction Blends: Blends from the Past
- Horror Blends: Blends that Give You Goosebumps
- Mystery Blends: Blends with a Puzzle
- Romance Blends: Blends that Are Looking for True Love
- Science Fiction Blends: Blends that Ask “What If?”
- Whole Collection Blends: Looking Beyond the Fiction Stacks for Blends
- Readers’ Advisory for Blends
A. Literary Fiction Blends
B. Genre Blending MVPs
About the Author
Megan M. McArdle
is a librarian with more than 15 years of experience in public
libraries doing collection development and readers’ advisory. She is the Science Fiction
and Fantasy columnist for Library Journal
and has a website devoted to genre blends
”Genre blending is one of the more delightful conundrums readers’ advisors face in popular reading, and this guide helps both novices and experts … An essential purchase for professional readers’-advisory collections."
— Booklist”By identifying the exact literary pathways that make these blends so unique,
The Readers' Advisory Guide to Genre Blends offers something most literary assessments do not: the opportunity to read outside the genre box. Librarians and any general-interest reader will relish this approach!"
— California Bookwatch"An enjoyable read
for anyone who enjoys genre fiction,
but it is essential for librarians
who have responsibility for readers’
advisory in their libraries."
— Catholic Library World”Written in an accessible,
engaging way that not only provides concrete
examples of each type of blend, but also
provides enough information for readers to start
identifying and recommending blends on their
— Reference Reviews