12-week Asynchronous Advanced eCourse beginning June 1, 2015
An ALA Editions and SJSU iSchool Advanced eCourse facilitated by Raymond Dean
Estimated Hours of Learning: 72
Full participants earn the SJSU iSchool/ALA Publishing Advanced Certificate of Completion.
In this 12-week course, Raymond Dean, a lecturer for the SJSU iSchool and an experienced web developer, will break the complexity of web development down into simple and accessible parts. You will be able to apply this knowledge to develop a web design and development skill set, crucial for many librarians in this digital age.
The course will focus on using current techniques and industry best practices with a focus on creating content that is usable and accessible and does not require any prior experience with markup or programming languages. You will learn the current and correct way to build a website with HTML5 and CSS3 that will display properly on both mobile and desktop devices. The course will take you from basic background, introductions to HTML and web standards, and the concept of modular web design to responsive design and multimedia.
Through your participation in this course, you will:
- Learn the basics of HTML and CSS
- Learn about web standards and how to create standards-compliant code
- Use an image editor to do basic image manipulation and optimization for the web
- Understand the concept of modular web design and apply it to the creation of a website (separation of presentation, structure, and behavior)
- Use CSS to adapt content for various media types, including mobile, desktop, and the printed page
- Use fluid layout, flexible media, and CSS media queries to create a responsive layout
- Create a basic HTML form and process it with a PHP script
- Embed multimedia content, including HTML5 video
- Understand usability and accessibility best practices and how to apply these when developing web content
Participants who complete this Advanced eCourse will receive a SJSU iSchool/ALA Publishing Advanced Certificate of Completion. This certificate will affirm your status as having completed all the steps of an Advanced eCourse on Web Design and Development and will provide proof of your participation that you can add to your resume.
Advanced eCourses—a new format in which faculty from the SJSU iSchool will help you dig deep into cutting-edge topics during 12-week online courses, equipping you with potentially transformative knowledge and skills, and taking you from introductory through high-level content.
Week-by-Week Course Outline:
- Introduction—Brief overview of the history of the web and Internet, discussion of the technology behind the Internet, and creating a very basic page with HTML.
- Basic HTML and web standards
- Introduction to basic CSS and the concept of modular web design
- Advanced CSS selectors and the Document Object Model
- Images: basic image manipulation, web optimization, and CSS background-images
- CSS layouts and the CSS Box Model
- HTML tables and nested lists
- Navigation menus and CSS for print
- Responsive design
- Multimedia, including HTML5 video
- Design issues, including typography, accessibility, writing for the web, design trends, and copyright
Within the week-by-week format, you will be able to work at your own pace and interact with the instructor through emails and message boards without the constraints of attending a live session at a specific time.
How this eCourse Works
The eCourse begins on June 1, 2015. Your participation will require approximately six hours a week, at times that fit your schedule. All activities take place on the website, and you will be expected to:
Instructor Raymond Dean will monitor discussion boards regularly during the 12-week period, lead group discussions, and will also answer individual questions. All interaction will take place on the eCourse site, which will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's recommended that participants log into the site on June 1 or within a few days for an overview of the content and to begin the first lesson.
- Read, listen to or view online content
- Post to online discussion boards
- Complete weekly assignments or activities
Participants will need regular access to a computer with an internet connection for online message boards participation, viewing online video, listening to streaming audio (mp3 files), and downloading and viewing PDFs and PowerPoint files.
ALA Editions eCourses are fully compatible with Windows and MacOs.
About the Instructor
Raymond Dean is a lecturer for the SJSU iSchool. Dean has years of experience as a web developer and has earned an MLIS from SJSU and a M.Ed. from Drury University. With knowledge and experience in web development, the information field, and instructional technology, he has a blend of skills that has resonated particularly well with students in the library and information field. In addition to his work as a lecturer, he also operates several websites. His websites focus on technology education and providing online tools for teachers.
Please note: Your purchase at the ALA Store is only Step 1 of a 2-Step Registration process!
Upon purchase you will receive a registration PDF in the form of a digital download. This PDF contains a link to our registration page and a password. You must download this PDF and follow the instructions in order to complete the registration. The download link can be found on the final confirmation screen after you complete your purchase, and may also be accessed from your Account History. Confirmation with login instructions, reminders, and alerts will go to the email address used in the registration.
This eCourse is licensed for a single user. For pricing and more information on bulk purchases in excess of $1,000, please contact us.