This eCourse is now closed. We plan on offering the eCourse again soon. If you’d like to an email alert when we schedule the next session, please complete this form.
Asynchronous eCourse beginning June 1, 2015 and continuing for 6 weeks
An ALA Editions eCourse facilitated by Hilda Weisburg
Please note: Your purchase at the ALA Store is only Step 1 of a 2-Step Registration process!
Upon purchase you will receive a registration PDF in the form of a digital download. This PDF contains a link to our Registration page and a password. You must download this PDF and follow the instructions in order to complete the registration. The download link can be found on the final confirmation screen after you complete your purchase, and may also be accessed from your Account History. Confirmation with login instructions, reminders, and alerts will go to the email address used in the registration.
This eCourse is licensed for a single user. For pricing on bulk purchases in excess of $1,000, please contact us for more information.
Estimated Hours of Learning: 30
Certificate of Completion available upon request.
School librarians are worried about their jobs, and with good reason. Budget cuts have taken many jobs, and those who have retained their jobs find their resources stretched thin. In this eCourse, respected authority Weisburg will give school librarians concrete strategies for demonstrating and proving their worth through clear, focused leadership.
Showing you how to focus and strengthen your programs, and articulate those strategies in ways that build support for yourself and your library within your institution, she will leave no stone unturned. You will learn how to lead; how to identify the people you need to influence; and how to influence them on paper, in person, and during meetings.
- Making the case for the vital role school librarians play in learning
- Identifying your mission/vision in order to focus your program and be able to prioritize efficiently
- Building a solid base of support among stakeholders who hold the power over your future
- Creating and preparing to carry out plans targeted to strengthen your programs
Part 1: Positioning Yourself
- Qualities of a leader (your strengths and weaknesses)
- Mission and vision statements
- Core values and tag lines
Part 2: Reaching the Power Stakeholders
- Connecting with administrators (superintendent, principals, BOE, and the central office)
- Connecting with the community (parents, business owners, the public library, and others)
Part 3: Reaching Priority Stakeholders
- Connecting/cooperating/collaborating with teachers
- Becoming indispensable to students
Part 4: Keeping the Momentum Going
- Strategic planning (personal and program)
- Tag lines, elevator speeches
- Staying ahead of the curve (available resources and keeping abreast of educational trends)
About the Instructor
Hilda K. Weisburg “retired” after 31 years as a school librarian. Currently, she is the chair of AASL Advocacy Committee and is on the ALA Committee on Literacy. She gives numerous presentations in New Jersey and at state library association conferences. She has written 13 books with Ruth Toor, including New on the Job: A School Librarian's Guide to Success, Second Edition (2015), and she has written a solo work for ALA Editions, The School Librarian’s Career Planner (2013). She has presented at ALA, AASL, and numerous state conferences. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or @hildakw on Twitter.